No one likes bad breath or dirty teeth. So, brush your teeth, floss and get to your Collierville dentist, Dr. Joshua A. Holcomb, twice a year for check-ups and professional cleanings. Yes, those are good reasons for preventive dental care. However, they are not the only ones. Learn what happens at a routine dental appointment with Dr. Holcomb and his team and about the serious reasons behind what they do.
October 25, 2016
July 21, 2016
Gingivitis is the mildest form of gum disease. Frequently progressing to periodontitis, gingivitis is prevented by good oral hygiene practices and routine dental exams and cleanings.
Dr. Joshua Holcomb, Collierville dentist, examines his patients for signs of gum disease and offers preventive services and periodontal disease therapy to halt it.
When ignored, gum disease leads to tooth mobility and loss and also gum and jawbone recession. Researchers link gum disease to serious medical problems throughout the body as well. (more…)
February 8, 2016
As spring nears, we prepare for the season of renewal and new beginnings — and most of us celebrate with a thorough house cleaning. This year, why don’t you give your mouth the same treatment? If you’re one of the 75 percent of Americans who suffer from gum disease, chances are good your teeth need a deep cleaning. Your dentist in Collierville, Dr. Holcomb, is here with more on the practice and why you should take advantage for a healthier mouth.
December 18, 2015
Hey, Collierville, we’ve got good news for you in 2016. Trusted dentist Dr. Joshua Holcomb is accepting new patients! Our practice offers a variety of services and is in network with most PPO insurances. Keep reading to learn more about top Collierville dentist Dr. Holcomb and his team of dental professionals. We’re standing by to schedule your appointment when you’ve finished.
September 3, 2015
Choosing a dentist is no longer a simple matter of calling the only dental practitioner in town to schedule an appointment. Collierville residents have numerous options, but the clear choice for outstanding patient care, friendly staff, and a welcoming atmosphere is Dr. Joshua Holcomb. Our Collierville, TN practice welcomes families from surrounding communities to schedule a visit with Dr. Holcomb and his outstanding team today. Our office is conveniently located off of Poplar Ave, offers extended early morning hours on Thursday, and provides same-day emergency care for patients of record. Call to schedule an appointment with your Collierville dentist today.
June 26, 2015
When it comes to taking care of your family, we take our jobs very seriously. To us, family dentistry is about more than just checkups and cleanings. Having healthy teeth is important not just for your oral health, but your overall well-being, too. To start your family on the right path towards having a healthy smile for years to come, Dr. Joshua Holcomb is your family dentist in Collierville, TN. His team will provide all the comforts you and your family deserve while providing gentle care that you won’t find anywhere else. Providing excellent family dentistry services is what we do best!
December 25, 2014
How much do you know about your child’s teeth? Children grow up fast. But it’s important to take care of their teeth and gums every step of the way. Although your child’s baby teeth eventually fall out, they play an important role by helping your child chew food safely and speak clearly. Baby teeth also save space for adult teeth, and help guide them into place. Even before your child gets their first tooth, you can maintain their dental health by wiping their gums with a clean damp gauze or cloth. By age 2, you should teach them to brush and floss with fluoride toothpaste twice a day. By age 3, you should make sure they have their first dental checkup appointment with Dr. Holcomb. Dr. Holcomb is a trusted family and general Collierville dentist, now delivering quality care daily to families throughout Collierville, TN, Germantown, Pembrook, Memphis, Bartlett, Olive Branch, and the surrounding communities.
Collierville Children’s Dentistry: How Do Little Teeth Develop?
- 4 to 7 months: Teething begins. Your baby’s gums may be swollen and red where the teeth are cutting through.
- 8 to 12 months: Upper middle teeth emerge. Girls usually get their teeth before boys.
- 9 to 16 months: Top and bottom teeth right next to the middle teeth begin to appear. Teeth usually emerge in pairs, one on each side of the mouth.
- 2 to 19 months: The first molars come in on the bottom and the top of the mouth. Baby teeth are a brighter white and smaller than permanent teeth.
- 16 to 23 months: The sharp, pointed teeth called the canines emerge on the top and bottom. If your baby doesn’t show any signs of a tooth by the time she’s 18 months old, mention it to her doctor. The very back teeth, or second molars, work their way in on the bottom as well.
- 25 to 33 months: The second molars on the top come in right after those on the bottom.
- 3 years: Your child has a full set of 20 primary teeth by now and should come in for their first dental checkup.
- 4 years: Jaw and facial bones grow, creating space between the primary teeth for your child’s adult teeth to come in.
School Age Teeth
- 6 to 12 years: Your child starts losing their teeth. During these years, both baby teeth and permanent teeth appear as one type replaces the other. They may fall out in any order, but your child may lose their baby teeth in the same order in which they arrived. The middle teeth are usually the first to go, followed by the ones on either side. The molars can be lost at any time after that, but will likely be gone between age 9 and 12. This is a good time to begin protecting your child’s teeth from decay with dental sealants and fluoride treatments. At about age 7, Holcomb will be able to determine if your child will need orthodontic treatment to maintain a straight smile.
- 12 years: Your child has a full set of 28 adult teeth.
Remember, comprehensive general dental care should be a priority at every stage of life. Protect the little smiles in your family; make a dental checkup appointment for them with Dr. Holcomb at his kid friendly Collierville general dentist office today. Dr. Holcomb proudly restores smiles daily throughout Collierville, TN, Germantown, Pembrook, Memphis, Bartlett, Olive Branch, and nearby areas.